Monday, May 16, 2011

Old McPherson had a Farm, EE- iye-ee-iye-oh

We are sooo loving that we have our own home now.  God is so good!
I started into tilling the garden and building a greenhouse today.  We finally have nice weather so I'm getting ready to plant.
I didn't know how we were going to till the garden because I don't have a tractor.  We do have a rotor tiller  because the neighbor gave us one and it is nice (almost looks new and runs like a charm) but it is the kind that you need a small hobby tractor to drag it with.  In other words it is not a real small one.  Unfortunately the tractor is not affordable at the moment so the rotor tiller sits in the garage waiting for that time when we will be able to buy a tractor.
Well,  I don't have a pick either, only a shovel and a big garden space planned.  I finally decided to ask the neighbor if I could borrow his pick.  He said, "Sure!  Whatchya doin'?"  I told him, I would be digging up the garden and he laughed at me and next thing you know he was in my yard with a nice rotor tiller for me to use.  Our neighbors are so good to us.
So,  Here is our garden space for this year.  Awesome, isn't it?
My husband helped me till it when my hands started to get sore.  I was so grateful!


This picture shows where my hoop house (greenhouse) will be and how long.  Actually it is 60 feet long and only 12 feet wide.  I can't wait till it is up and functional.

Here is the rest of the property.  Lots of room for expanding in crops.  Maybe next year when we have a tractor.

I must say this is country living at its finest.  I love gardening!


Change of subject:
When we bought this place,  the people who owned it before us left so much stuff behind.  Some of the stuff they left behind was a whole whack of bicycles.  J. has taken it upon himself to fix up these bikes so that they can be sold.  Here is the collection.  Some we owned already but most were here.

Change of subject again:
Yesterday was a very busy day because we had one activity right after another all day long.  It started out with Art taking the boys to the airport for free airplane rides.  They sure enjoyed that.  Then we put on a Birthday party for a friend, at our house and so we had a yard full of kids.  They left just before supper and then Art, the boys, and I all went into town to go swimming.  I took advantage of the hot tub the cold pool and the steam bath to try to clear up the congestion in my lungs.  It seems to have worked and I feel so much better today. Anyway  here is a picture of the boys about to fly.


Up, up and away!!
Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing to have such kind neighbors. I've been rototilling too, and know the hard work. You're blessed to have flat land. Gardens are work, but even the work is a blessing. We are glad to be outside in warm enough weather to work a garden.

    ReplyDelete