Sunday, February 27, 2011

Rondevous (Sp?)

Hi Everyone,
It is that time of year again where the whole town turns out to celebrate the brightening of the sky, the coming of  Spring, the light at the end of the tunnel of winter.  Well, the boys and I went in today to look at the sculpture competition as usual and to sell mittens if possible.  Unfortunately, the weather was so bad.  The temperature was only -18 degrees Celsius but the wind was blowing in every direction, whipping up the snow and freezing everyone to the bone.  The parade had to be canceled and there were not a lot of people braving the outdoors to set up the festival booths.  It was too bad!  However,  it was perfect weather for making mittens very necessary and so C.  managed to sell $437. worth anyway.
Thankfully for us, there was an old wall tent set up on the park grounds with the wind whipping it's door flaps back and forth and it looked as if it should blow over but it had a little pot bellied stove inside which seemed to just heat the little tent up to a toasty warm and had a kettle of hot chocolate constantly boiling on the top.  It was cozy so we spent most of out time in there and as people came in to warm their toes, fingers and noses by the fire, they also bought mittens.  Perfect!
I managed to grab a few minutes to take a walk and examine on the sculptures.  I love the sculptures every year but this year, I think, had two of my absolute favorites ever.  Here are some pics.

  skinning a walrus


I'm guessing that it is the skeleton of a dragon or something.  I'm not sure.

He caught an extra large fish!


Castle in the clouds!  Tower of Babel maybe.  :0)


Artistic design

Pancake and syrup!  Got to love it!  done by Team Quebec.

  Noah's Ark got a little crowded I think!


Log cabin done by team Yukon.  It won second prize. one of my favorite


The back of the cabin


First prize and I can't even remember what team sculpted it.  Little dog begging at a little burger joint.  So cute and my favorite! 

Wolves howling at an owl.  Not sure why.


Hope you enjoyed the sculptures of this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment