Thursday, January 10, 2013

GYC and Today

Generation of Youth for Christ meetings in Seattle were a real blessing!  We so much enjoyed them.
I had prayed and prayed that my husband would attend and gain a real spiritual blessing and revival.  My hubby is a wonderful man but I believe he was quite discouraged.  We don't have much outside spiritual imput up here where we live.  Sometimes a person needs to be fed,  to have someone lift him up spiritually and in prayer, to see what other's are doing and to get new ideas and a new vision.  I had experienced this at ARME Bible Camp last year and had come home so excited.  My husband encouraged me but I was quite unprepared for the resistance I encountered from our own friends and fellow Christians here.  I must admit, I've learned to appoach people with new ideas with much more caution and more concealed enthusiasm.  When I was told that every new idea that I came up with wouldn't work,  I felt like melting back into the ground.
My husband watched,  encouraged, and patted me on the shoulder but he never became involved, himself.   We had high lifestyle standards which he upheld beside me and when we voiced concerns about some things in our church, we were hammered down.  My husband stood stronger for what he believed but backed off from any kind of service.  He really didn't care anymore to have an active position in the church.  I felt very alone in my desire to be a missionary so I prayed.  I prayed and prayed that Art would attend GYC and be inspired to service. 

I must say, though, the Devil had other plans and it was only 3 days into the trip and all the pipes in our house at home had frozen.  Poor Art was ready to jump on a plane and fly back home and forget the whole holiday idea.  He would miss GYC.  God came through for us though, and eveything was taken care of by friends.

At GYC the boys and I scanned the list of different seminars that we could attend.  There was like twenty different ones happening all at the same time.  It was a tough decision for me!  Not for the boys though.  Jacob had heard John Bradshaw speak at ARME Bible Camp and had so enjoyed it that he made up his mind that that is where he was going to go.  Caleb Joined him and Art, being the schofer decided he had no choice.  Isaac and I took in the Ty Gibson workshop.  It was good!

Still, everyday, Art would tell me,  "Julie, you should transfer over to our seminar.  You will love it!"  John Bradshaw and Jim Howard so inspired my husband with ideas that he wouldn't miss a one.  I could see the excitment rising in the hotel.  Suddenly it became important to be on time.  I was quietly thrilled! 

On the way home, Art shared with me a lot of what he learned.  I didn't have to bring the subject up or start the conversation.  All of a sudden he would turn off the music and say,  "Oh, and back to our conversation about what we can do for outreach...."   
Praise the Lord!

We have been praying for a little space to do outreach on sabbath in town.  I made some phone calls.  One place was $100 dollars for 3 hours.  Ohh, that seemed steep!  I  prayed and asked God for guidance.  The next place was $50 for half a day.  That would work better.  I could use my babysitting money to pay for this facility and I could set money aside as well for Glow tracks and books and DVD's for outreach. 

LOL,  Not so fast!  Not so easy!  The lady I babysit for has now informed me that they are moving to Australia.  That means $1000 less per month for our family.  All of a sudden, if any missionary work is going to be accomplished it is going to be through God's means and in his time, not our own, lest we should boast.  So, it is by faith now. 

I advertised my sewing skills.  I sew all the time for people.  I made a lot of money for several months before Christmas, sewing anything and everything.  But, now, not a single reply.  :)  God knows!  He knows what it will cost to be missionaries.  He knows I am willing, like Paul, to sew my way around the world if I have to.  So, we are on our knees in prayer knowing that it is not us but Him who will provide.

Another note:  I was brought to tears the other evening when in family worship, Caleb, called us altogether and with tears confessed that he was convicted about his pride and his ego and making stories bigger then they really were about himself.  He cried and said, God had convicted him on this point several days earlier but he took a while to bring himself to say it.  He asked all of our forgiveness.  I was so proud of him.  I cried with him.  God is working in the hearts of our kids as well. 

1 comment:

  1. So encouraged with you all! The Lord is good. Antionette

    ReplyDelete