Sunday, March 10, 2013

Evangelism in the Yukon Today!

Just to let you all know.  I live in one of the hardest communities to reach for Christ.  So I've been told.  We have had evangelism efforts with thousands of dollars spent.  We've had all kinds of different health programs with a little success, at least people came in groups of between 12 to 35.  But, did we reach their hearts for Jesus?  Mmmm, not really. 

But this time was different!  This time was abbsolutely amazing!  I invited Dr. Tim Riesen*berger.  Actually no,  I begged him.  I pleaded with him and when he told me he was completely booked,  I asked him again, if there was not a single weekend.  He asked me when I wanted him to come and he would look at his schedule.  I said,  "I don't care, Doctor! You pick the date that is most available to you and we'll work with your schedule!"  He did.  March 8 and 9.

The pastor was right on the ball with the advertising!  He did good.  Becky J. from our church made posters that were posted all over town. Art, the boys and Bev (a friend), and I did a little door to door work and phoning people.  I was very hopeful!

The Pastor was sure to inform Dr. Tim when he came of all the stories of not being terribly successful around here.  He didn't want the good Doc. to be too disappointed.  Still, by faith we had rented a meeting room at one of our biggest hotels in Whitehorse.  The room held 80 seats which the hotel staff put out in beautiful rows, even though the pastor wished they would have put much less so that we could fill up the seats and at least look good if their were few but no,  they put all 80 chairs out.  But, even the Hotel staff informed the Pastor,  Listen, "It's hard to get an audience at all anymore, these days for anything!  Good luck!)

As the time approached.  The first attendees showed up.   Both schizophrenic and obviously so.  Dr.  Tim remained positive and said,  "Well, at least we have two!"  But by the time the meeting was about to start the flow of people began.  Dr. Tim was sure they were all Adventist people from our church.  But, sorry folks, there isn't that many SDAs in all of Yukon!  The place packed out.  Standing room only! 

Dr. Tim spoke on Cancer prevention and the people listened in rapt attention.  Dr. Tim was very scientific but did not hesitate even the slightest to bring out the need for God.  He gently and carefully and appropriately introduced Bible verses.   Two people walked out, but the rest were glued to their seats.  Dr. Tim spoke with Conviction and Authority!

At the end of the first meeting.  As we were talking.  Dr. Tim asked how many people do you think came that were actually not from the church.  I laughed.  "Tim,  Don't you realize that hardly any of our own people showed up?  Maybe one dozen and that includes my kids!"   
He was shocked.  He didn't believe me.  He called across the room to the Pastor,  "How many people were not from the church?"
The pastor looked up, obviously tickled pink!  "The vast majority, Doctor!"
We were all praising the Lord!

One thing that we did forget though was to have a little peice of paper to get the people's contact information.  So the next morning I got busy and made out the slip of paper, asking for not only contact info but giving a list of other programs we provide such as other Health programs, Stress seminars, Depression recovery, vegetarian cooking classes, and so on.  I also included, in the list " Weekly Home Bible study Group, with fellowship and vegetarian meal"  That would be our home church.  I included "An invitation to attend weekly services at the SDA church and do you need a ride?".   These were to be handed out at the next meeting.

The Dr. and Pastor  both made the announcement that the Dr. would be speaking for the service at the SDA church the next morning!  He was going to speak on his own personaly testimony.

It was absolutely amazing,  the people were so enthralled that the church was packed.  They actually followed the guy to the church!  PTL  The Doctor presented the Gospel in such a way, from the emergency room perspective and he let the tears flow freely.  The audience wept with him.  I sat by a native lady who not only cried but turned to me and said with tears in her eyes, "How can I save my family now?"

We passed the papers out and people responded.  I'm anxious to see the result after church.
At the meeting in the evening there was not a single seat available.  The poor hotel staff were kept busy putting out more and sometimes we got our own.  People were standing against the back wall.

By the time the second day of meetings was over, you could tell the pastor was on a high.  Dr. Tim was on a high and so were we.  But my special elation came when I looked at the little response papers and read,  One after another, the desire for more.  Not only did they want health programs but several requested to come to home Bible study group and fellowship!  Some requested personal Bible studies! and I still haven't seen the papers from after the sermon at church.  I can hardly wait!

What a blessing!  God was so in charge this time!  To God be the Glory!  Our family, The Doctor and the Pastor all celebrated by going out to "The taste of India" for supper!  We sat and talked for probably two hours and at delicious food too! 

Dr. Tim will be leaving today, but I can't thank him enough for being an instrument in the hands of God!  He was truly inspired and inspiring!

That's the story for evangelism in the Yukon today!  Until next time.... Have a great day! 

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Praise the Lord! Antionette

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is goose bumps all over me, and a song in my heart. Praise God! It is time. May God bless this harvest time, and satisfy the longing of many people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep that kind of enthusiasm. God will bless. Awesome report!!

    ReplyDelete