Friday, September 16, 2011

The Garden this Year

The garden this year has been a real blessing.  I haven't had a garden like this since I was a kid.  We just so happened to buy a home on 2 1/2 acres last year and this spring we tilled up a garden from the sod and built a greenhouse from scratch.   I wasn't sure how it would grow but I was very happy with the results.  I knew before I left on vacation this summer that I had a beautiful garden but I was worried about whether it would actually produce veggies or not.
This is before vacation



I guess I need not have worried about the veggies
This is when we came back.  This was a small gift from our garden to our neighbors for their birthdays.
All the veggies from the garden were huge and delicious
 Broccoli head = 13 inches across

Since we've been back we've done down 16 jars of sour kraut and have more to go, 
23 jars of pickled beets, 8 jars of dill pickle relish
frozen tons of spinach, kale, swiss chard, broccoli and cauliflower.
We dug up about (guessing) 300 lb or potatoes, and 5 buckets of carrots
And joy of all joys, even though it got too cold for tomatoes we picked several boxes of green tomatoes and layered them in newspaper in the back closet of the house.  Now we are eating yummy tomato sandwiches from our very own greenhouse!  We should be eating them as they ripe for a few months.
 
God has been so good!  Not to mention all the fruit my mother, sister and kids helped me can while I was down south.  My house is full of food and my neighbors even got quite a bit.  I'm so happy!


Oh,  by the way, I found my camera!


4 comments:

  1. What a blessing!! My husband does the small garden where we live, and we struggle with harvesting the produce before the bugs...or dog get to them...but we keep trying!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful garden. Who took care of it while you were gone? All the produce is a big blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perseverance produces harvest.
    Let this garden be a living object lesson of the harvest to be gained in souls for Christ in the YUKON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great garden, Ju. We should hire you to do Eden Valley's garden next year. Dad

    ReplyDelete